Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fruit BuyingTips



I thought I would share the 2 most important fruit buying tips I know - one from my father and one from my husband.  Since I only found out about these two tips well into my adult years, I assume there are others who may not know them either.  

So to buy the freshest ripest fruit try these tips:

Smell your fruit - My Dad and I both have good noses so we smell soft fruit before buying them.  You should sniff your pears, cantaloupe, and pineapple and if they smell like pears, cantaloupe, and pineapple then you are in business.  You may look a little dog-like, but don't let that come between you and some good fruit.

Feel your fruit - Hubby discovered that if the fruit is cold it tastes better.  The logic being that cold fruit is from the back storage fridges so it is fresh.  You will look like you are laying hands on the fruit but this seriously works, especially for oranges and apples.  You will get the juiciest oranges and crunchiest apples if you only buy cold ones.

So there you have it.  Now you may look a little strange sniffing and feeling your way around the grocery store but it really does work.  Any of you have special fruit buying tips?  I'm always open to other ideas - how much crazier could I look.

4 comments:

  1. I knock on my watermelons! I don't know if there is any truth to it but I was told to listen for a sort of hollow sound. Also, my mom told me to pull a leaf off a pineapple and if it comes off fairly easy then you are good to go. And I'm a smeller too! Gosh I must look strange in the produce section!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to work at a produce stand - and those two tips were the ones my boss taught me! (Although I'm a watermelon knocker too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grace!

    My Italian grandpa used to knock on melons! I have seen people smelling fruit as they choose...interesting...i've started doing it with apples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well so far we have added knocking and pulling on fruit to my smelling and feeling them. I'm sure I'll be very welcome in the grocery store, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete