Sunday, October 16, 2011

Easy Dinner - Honey-Glazed Pork Roast with Cabbage and Apples


Today I made some significant modifications to a recipe I had cut out of a magazine so that the final product was nowhere near the original, but the path it went down was a good one.  I made Honey-Glazed Pork Loin Roast with Cabbage and Apples.  The cabbage looked like glazed onions when it was done and was delicious.  I often find it hard to use up a whole cabbage when I buy one for a recipe, but this tasted fantastic and was so easy.  




Ingredients:
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp dried thyme
black pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/3 of a head of cabbage, sliced and cut into pieces
1 onion, sliced thin
2 apples, peeled and cut into 1 cm thick pieces
pork loin roast (approximately 900 gm)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
4 tsp brown sugar
black pepper to taste
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp soy sauce




Method:
1. In a medium bowl mix soy sauce, thyme, and pepper. Add pork and roll to coat. 
2. Lightly oil a Dutch oven.  Layer half the chopped cabbage, apple, onion, and then repeat the layers.  Put the pork loin roast on top.
3.  Combine the melted butter, brown sugar, pepper, honey, and soy sauce and pour over the roast.  
4.  Cover and cook at 350 for about 1 1/2 hours (check to be sure the pork is cooked in the centre with a meat thermometer as you don't want to take any chances).  Periodically baste the pork with the sauce.


I served the pork and cabbage mix with rice, but that was only because we were out of potatoes.  It would be good with either.    


I also cooked up the squash that I had on our sideboard.  I've been a bit obsessed with all the different kinds of squash available at the grocery store and have been buying them if they look interesting or lumpy or wildly coloured or pretty much anything.  The only problem is we get a bit attached to them and don't like to cook them - sort of like cooking the family pet or something.  Anyway we got over our weird attachment to our squash and had a very yummy dinner indeed.


Say goodbye to the large green squash cause it's gone!


p.s.  Stay tuned for details about the pumpkin bread I made for dessert - recipe coming up tomorrow.


p.p.s.  Also stay tuned for details about the insane craft project I spent hours doing this weekend.  Let's just say it was a calm and therapeutic way to spend a cold and rainy weekend.  Here's a sneak peak.  It needs to dry and then some styling has to happen before I'm ready to reveal it.



Linked to Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming

5 comments:

  1. OMG we had pork roast last night and it was delicious...so good , in fact, my husband wanted to buy another one for this week (i like to space my meals a bit)...maybe we try this recipe next!

    yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, that recipe sounds amazing. I love pork roast better than beef. Can't wait to see what that is you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No idea what your project is...looks like tons of work! I made pumpkin bread just this week. Looking forward to comparing recipes. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm. Looks amazing Grace!

    ReplyDelete