Sunday, October 9, 2011

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving is one of those lovely, relaxed holidays that revolves around family, friends, and food - and we've been having a good dose of each of those.   


I added some autumn decorations to help us all get in the Thanksgiving mood.  You've got to love decorations you can eat - aren't these the most interesting squash.






We've also been enjoying the incredibly warm weather,




and the gorgeous fall colours.  We went for hikes on both Saturday and Sunday.





We also enjoyed our turkey dinner!  I love that it is the same meal - the exact same menu - every year.   You know that the turkey with gravy is going to be amazing, the mashed potatoes yummy, the dressing will be fantastic - love the dressing - all followed by pumpkin pie with whipped cream.  The best!


There is so much to be grateful for.  This year we are especially thankful that my father (you can see him at the end of the table) is recovering so well from his recent surgery.  

We missed having Kate home for the weekend as she is at university in Halifax and William flew down for the weekend to visit her.  Yep, we missed them both!  We are, however, grateful that Kate is enjoying her program, has met some good friends, and did well on her first paper.  William misses Kate a lot so they are having some good sibling time this weekend.

This year we had a couple of guests join us for Thanksgiving dinner.  Christie, our daughter-in-laws' sister came home with her for the weekend.  We've enjoyed getting to know her more and she was a huge help in the kitchen with the vegetable chopping and pumpkin pie making and drying the dishes - thanks Valerie!  

We also had a new friend from India join us (you can see him sitting at the left side of the table in the photo above).  I know it is going to sound strange, but I met him on the airplane coming back from India.   Trust me, I don't usually start talking to strangers and then invite them home to dinner, but this guy seemed like our kind of fellow.   He is on a four month work contract here in Toronto.  It is his first time in Canada and he is keen to see as much as he can of the rocks and trees and wild-lands.  It was fun seeing a Canadian Thanksgiving through a visitor's eyes.  He seemed to particularly like the colourful fall leaves and the pumpkin pie.



Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends.

10 comments:

  1. Great photos! It looks like you all had a wonderful holiday full of family and new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a very nice Thanksgiving dinner! Your photos are gorgeous. I love hiking in the woods - it's one of my favorite things to do! The colors of the trees are breathtaking.Thanks for visiting my blog this evening and for your comment. I'm your newest follower!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Thanksgiving sounds wonderful. Those fall colors are absolutely fantastic, and your new friend is enjoying the comfort of family and friends away from his own home.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! Glad your father is doing well and that they could join you for dinner with your new friends! I didn't get a chance to take photos of our buffet meal for 25 but we had a lovely meal and lots of laughter and family time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace, I'm always so happy to catch up on your blog...the fact that I can travel to different parts of the world through you is even better.

    Happiest of Thanksgivings to you, too. What a blessing that your dad is doing well.

    I LOVE the fact that you had that fellow over to share your supper with your family, too. I am happy he is getting to meet some kind hearted Canadians to give him a bit of a taste of what our country is made up of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace, thank you so much for your sweet comments on my home office! It is truly my sanctuary! I am happy that you led me to your blog! What a great site you have!! I am happy to "meet" you; and I am your newest follower. I invite you to follow me too!! Many blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a warm feeling of love in your picture! Here in Finland we don't celebrate Thanksgiving of course but it is wonderful to see how people all around the world love their family and nearest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving festivities with us, Grace. Will you share your recipe for pumpkin pie with us??? ;P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the red maples that are more prevalent in many parts of Ontario it seems than here. What a beautiful mix of colours! I am glad you got to enjoy thanksgiving with family and a new friend. Nothing strange there...I have brought home many a stranger in my time and discovered that the world is truly a small place when you open yourself up to it and the many possibilities. Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fall colors are gorgeous! It looks so warm and cozy. Enjoy the lovely day, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete